ABOUT THE ALLIANCE
The Digital Research Alliance of Canada (the Alliance) serves Canadian researchers, with the objective of advancing Canada’s position as a leader in the knowledge economy on the international stage. By integrating, championing, and funding the infrastructure and activities required for advanced research computing (ARC), research data management (RDM) and research software (RS), we provide the platform for the research community to access tools and services faster than ever before.
We have an ambitious mandate – to transform how research across all academic disciplines is organized, managed, stored, and used. We work with other ecosystem partners and stakeholders across the country to help provide Canadian researchers with the support they need for leading-edge research excellence, research, innovation, and advancement across all disciplines.
The Administrative Coordinator is responsible for coordinating day to day operations of the office in addition to providing executive administrative support to VPs. The position includes office administration and executive assistant responsibilities.
The Administrative Coordinator will play an essential role in shaping the feel of daily operations, while working directly with the Executive Assistant who supports the CEO. We are seeking a full-time Administrative Coordinator to join our team in Ottawa, ON. Our ideal candidate is a positive self-starter who has a particular attention to detail, is keen on multitasking, and likes to keep things neat and orderly. This is a full-time position; regular working hours will be from 9:00am – 5:00pm (37.5 hours per week), from time to time, as required, based on the business needs such as meetings, corporate events, and office deliveries, you may work outside of regular working hours.
- Provide superior level administrative support services to three VPs, ensuring tact, diplomacy, and professionalism throughout job duties/service.
- Support and manage activities, calendars, contacts, and scheduling for the three VPs.
- Coordinate and schedule meeting invitations and agendas for senior staff and team members, including determining priorities of appointment requests, booking meetings.
- Prepare agendas, compile, and distribute materials, record and prepare briefing notes and minutes of meeting, and conduct or ensure follow-up on action items from meeting.
- Identify, prioritize, and ensure urgent matters are brought to the attention of the relevant parties or respond directly as appropriate.
- Coordinates travel – may require continuous changes and rescheduling, in conjunction with Executive Assistant for VPs. Assist in the preparation of executive expense claims and reconciliation of corporate credit cards.
- Provides varied administrative and secretarial support by drafting routine and non-routine correspondence and transcribing and typing correspondence, reports, presentations, and memoranda.
- Maintain confidential information for the business, team and leadership and ensure information is handled appropriately.
- Serve as back up for Executive Assistant to the CEO during absences.
- Set up new hires: arrange appropriate workspace and hardware necessary for their job and coordinate with Human Resources team to schedule onboarding.
- Act as a point of contact for all Alliance members and visitors – provide bilingual reception services – greet visitors and alert appropriate Alliance member of their arrival.
- Prepare boardrooms with AV equipment and set up for staff and board meetings, assist with presentation materials (electronic and print), and coordinate and maintain schedule for boardroom usage.
- Work with building management and service providers on regular office cleaning and maintenance, including lighting, plumbing and HVAC.
- Work with building management to maintain employee and guest access, enforce city and building safety regulations.
- Assist with shipping and receiving logistics, including incoming mail and package deliveries.
- Coordinate the ordering, storage, and distribution of office supplies, fire safety gear, first aid supplies; track these items with extra care and keep meticulous records.
- Facilitate catering/hospitality as needed.
- Keep tidy, stock, and maintain general areas including the reception and kitchenette.
Health and Safety Duties:
- Understand and adhere to all health and safety policies and procedures (including security and privacy of information and the building’s fire and safety programs).
- Works safely to reduce the risk of injury to self, other staff members, and visitors. Promptly reports all actual or potentially hazardous risks/situations with causes, impacts or mitigations beyond scope of responsibility to management.
- Assess site specific requirements which include emergency protocols, safe work plans and procedures and regulatory requirements, and facilitate office tours (identify exits/muster station).
- Maintain and monitor office supply inventory and first aid supplies and assist with placing orders for necessary items.
- Member of the Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committee
- Lead by example – diligent about all matters of safety on site and is used as an example of safety for workers and help to address any lapse in safety on-site.
- Coordinate emergency response drills and conduct hazard assessments and workplace inspections.
- Assist with the maintenance of the OHS (Occupational Health and Safety) system on site including collection and data input of health and safety information to the safety bulletin board. This can include but is not limited to:
- First Aid and Near Miss Reports – Help to ensure documents are filled out correctly.
- Conduct Monthly Inspections – Must be able to keep track of deadlines and strictly adhere to them.
- Coordinate health and safety training for office members – maintain training records and the scheduling of necessary training such as First Aid.
- Safety Talks – Assist with completing safety talks or assist supervisors/lead hands with topics.
- SDS sheets – General upkeep of the database.
- OHS databases – Such as a Non-Conformance listing, and Actions Items from JHSC meetings.
- Knowledge normally associated with a college diploma or university degree.
- 5+ years in Senior Administrative Roles (preferrable C-Suite experience).
- Significant practical knowledge of administrative best practices in a fast-paced corporate environment attained by up to one year of work experience.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, in both of Canada’s two official languages (French and English).
- Experience in Facilities Management.
- Proficiency in digital communications.
- Advanced knowledge/experience with Microsoft products.
- Very strong writing, organizational, and time management skills.
- Ability to be punctual and prioritize and manage multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Pro-active, forward-thinker and able to work collaboratively as part of a team as well as independently.
- Adaptability in a dynamic, complex, and fast-paced delivery environment.
- Self-motivated, flexible, calm, and positive in a changing environment.
- Displays initiative with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Projects a professional demeanor while providing superior customer services.
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the Research Community, Alliance Team, and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrates integrity and respect.
- Able to pick up knowledge on-the-go, deal with the ambiguity typical of an agile company, and report or trouble shoot problems promptly.
- Ability to work with a culturally diverse population.
- Other relevant professional certifications are an asset.
BENEFITS / WORK PERKS
In addition to a competitive salary and a rewarding career where you can truly make a difference in the Canadian research community, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that meets the various needs of our diverse team and that spans across Canada, including:
- Comprehensive Benefits Plan, including:
- Long-Term Disability
- Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness Spending Account
- Mental Health Supports
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- Paid Vacation
- Remote Work – Flex Hours
The Alliance recognizes that challenges remain in achieving the full participation of equity-seeking groups (including women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minority/racialized groups, and members of LGBTQ2+) in research careers and is committed to identifying and eliminating barriers that may exist within its own hiring process, programs, and practices.