ABOUT THE ALLIANCE
The Digital Research Alliance of Canada (the Alliance) serves Canadian researchers, with the objective of advancing Canada’s position as a leader in the knowledge economy on the international stage. By integrating, championing and funding the infrastructure and activities required for advanced research computing (ARC), research data management (RDM) and research software (RS), we provide the platform for the research community to access tools and services faster than ever before.
We have an ambitious mandate — to transform how research across all academic disciplines is organized, managed, stored and used. We work with other ecosystem partners and stakeholders across the country to help provide Canadian researchers with the support they need for leading-edge research excellence, research, innovation and advancement across all disciplines.
The Cybersecurity Data Analyst position will be accountable for monitoring and delivering timely and relevant cybersecurity analytics as well as guidance and support for the Alliance’s cybersecurity operations team. The position will primarily focus on support for security monitoring and auditing services for the National Advanced Research Computing (ARC) Platform but is expected to provide widespread support as the Alliance’s cybersecurity program and operations mature. The Cybersecurity Data Analyst is a member of the Operations & Security team and reports to the Cybersecurity Manager.
- Liaise with stakeholders to understand and identify data requirements to support the implementation of use cases.
- Develop data visualisation and dashboards to be utilized by the Federation in the implementation of security and operational functions.
- Develop and maintain the national data standard used for sharing and use of datasets.
- Support the Alliance’s operational portfolio, Federation, and working groups in preparing their data for ingestion in the data platform and ensure compliance with the organization data security standards.
- Work closely with partners to expand data collection as required by used cases.
- Support and provide training to the Alliance’s operational portfolio, Federation, and working groups in developing their own visualisation and dashboards.
- Develop and deliver training material and process documentation on the use of the monitoring platform and how to perform data analytics to implement security functions.
- Document the use of the analytics tools being developed.
- Document the data lifecycle management process and participate in the management of the existing dataset.
- Implement data navigation, query, and filtering tools to ensure timely and effective access to complex data needed to implement various security functionalities.
- Identify and prioritize vulnerabilities and research attempted breaches of data security, rectify security weaknesses, and collaborate with stakeholders to ensure they are understood and triaged effectively.
- Formulate and contribute to security policies and procedures.
- Provide recommendations for enhancing data systems security, for future projects, security tools, and applications.
- Perform cross-functional and/or other duties consistent with the job classification, such as a security operations rotation as assigned or requested.
- Post-secondary/undergraduate degree or similar level education in computer science, engineering, information sciences or in a related field.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience in the field of data analysis within a cybersecurity team.
- Experience utilizing OpenSearch/Elastic stack in a Security Information and Event Management context.
- Strong knowledge of computer and network security, including such areas as firewall administration, encryption technologies and SIEM tools.
- In-depth knowledge of OpenSearch / Elastic stack including (but not limited to) (OpenSearch Dashboards/Kibana, Grafana, APIs, etc.).
- Advanced programming skills (scripting, Kibana Query Language, git, web rest API such as HTTP and JSON API, etc.).
- Basic web programming skills (Python web framework like flask or django, Jupyter Notebook).
- Experience with data management skills (schema/index design, backups, etc.).
- Data Analytics, such as anomaly detection, BI/OLAP thinking.
- Experience and familiarity working in a Linux environment.
- Familiarity with tracking, alerting, coordinating tools (tickets, alerts, Asana, Slack, Jira, OTRS, alert manager, etc.).
- Experience working in and/or with the Academic Research landscape and knowledge of the ways and methods by which technology supports the Canadian research community.
- Excellent time management, prioritization, and organizational skills are required.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, high-volume environment with multiple and changing priorities.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing is required. Having these skills in both of Canada’s two official languages would be considered an asset.
- Other relevant professional security certifications like CISSP, CISM and COBIT would be considered an asset.
- Familiarity with security and risk standards including COBIT, NIST, ITIL, ISO 27001-2, or PCI-DSS would be considered an asset.
BENEFITS / WORK PERKS
In addition to a competitive salary and a rewarding career where you can truly make a difference in the Canadian research community, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that meets the various needs of our diverse team and that spans across Canada, including:
- Comprehensive Benefits Plan, including:
- Long-Term Disability
- Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness Spending Account
- Mental Health Supports
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- Paid Vacation
- Remote Work – Flex Hours
The Alliance recognizes that challenges remain in achieving the full participation of equity-seeking groups (including women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minority/racialized groups, and members of LGBTQ2+) in research careers and is committed to identifying and eliminating barriers that may exist within its own hiring process, programs, and practices.