ABOUT THE ALLIANCE
The Digital Research Alliance of Canada (the Alliance) serves Canadian researchers, with the objective of advancing Canada’s position as a leader in the knowledge economy on the international stage. By integrating, championing, and funding the infrastructure and activities required for advanced research computing (ARC), research data management (RDM) and research software (RS), we provide the platform for the research community to access tools and services faster than ever before.
We have an ambitious mandate – to transform how research across all academic disciplines is organized, managed, stored, and used. We work with other ecosystem partners and stakeholders across the country to help provide Canadian researchers with the support they need for leading-edge research excellence, research, innovation, and advancement across all disciplines.
The Financial Analyst is accountable for performing the day-to-day program accounting and related analysis and reporting, as well as performing other accounting and finance functions. The Financial Analyst is a member of the Corporate Services team and reports to the Director, Finance.
The Financial Analyst is a business minded, analytical thinker with proven attention to detail to deliver timely and accurate financial analysis and reporting. This individual will be able to work with multiple priorities under tight deadlines and take initiative to push for continuous improvement in business processes.
This is a full-time remote contract position for up to 12 months.
- Process financial transactions in the ERP system, including accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll.
- Review accounting transactions and prepare reconciliations to ensure data accuracy.
- Prepare month-end journal entries.
- Lead the accounts payable function.
- Liaise with Procurement Specialist in the resolution of accounts payable/procurement matters.
- Prepare annual membership invoices and work with the assigned program area in the maintenance of the membership database.
- Work with the Program Administration team to record transactions and process payments in accordance with the funding agreements.
- Support the development and administration of automated reporting/forecasting tools.
Support process improvements, including the creation of standard and ad-hoc reports, tools, and Excel dashboards.
FINANCIAL PLANNING AND ANALYSIS
- Support the development of the annual budget and periodic forecasts.
- Provide financial analysis and support to assigned program areas.
- Maintain confidentiality of financial information.
- Perform cross-functional and/or other duties consistent with the job classification, as assigned or requested.
- Knowledge normally associated with a college diploma, and/or undergraduate degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance, or a related field.
- Financial expertise attained by a minimum of two years of work experience.
- Knowledge of Canadian GAAP.
- Experience working in or with the public sector and/or Academic Research landscape is preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, in both of Canada’s two official languages is an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and presentation skills.
- Strong analytical, quantitative and data gathering skills.
- Proficient with computer applications, including MS Word, PowerPoint, etc. Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Excel.
- Experience with NetSuite is an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills with the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to work with a culturally diverse population.
- Other relevant professional certifications are an asset.
- CPA designation in good standing or actively pursuing Canadian accounting designation is preferred.
BENEFITS / WORK PERKS
In addition to a competitive salary and a rewarding career where you can truly make a difference in the Canadian research community, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that meets the various needs of our diverse team and that spans across Canada, including:
- Comprehensive Benefits Plan, including:
- Long-Term Disability
- Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness Spending Account
- Mental Health Supports
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- Paid Vacation
- Remote Work – Flex Hours
The Alliance recognizes that challenges remain in achieving the full participation of equity-seeking groups (including women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minority/racialized groups, and members of LGBTQ2+) in research careers and is committed to identifying and eliminating barriers that may exist within its own hiring process, programs, and practices.