ABOUT THE ALLIANCE
The Digital Research Alliance of Canada (the Alliance) serves Canadian researchers, with the objective of advancing Canada’s position as a leader in the knowledge economy on the international stage. By integrating, championing and funding the infrastructure and activities required for advanced research computing (ARC), research data management (RDM) and research software (RS), we provide the platform for the research community to access tools and services faster than ever before.
We have an ambitious mandate — to transform how research across all academic disciplines is organized, managed, stored and used. We work with other ecosystem partners and stakeholders across the country to help provide Canadian researchers with the support they need for leading-edge research excellence, research, innovation and advancement across all disciplines.
The Digital Research Alliance of Canada is seeking an exceptional bridge-builder to advance its vision and mission. Reporting directly to the Director, Communications and Engagement, the Manager, Member and Community Engagement is principally responsible to lead the Alliance’s engagement functions, support the development of multifaceted communications and stakeholder engagement strategies and tactical plans, and to achieve consistency of messaging in line with the Alliance’s mandate, strategic priorities and brand objectives. The Manager will play a key role in managing relationships with Members and community partners to build positive relationships, deliver value to our community and strengthen Canada’s position as a leader in digital research infrastructure.
A bilingual leader and practitioner, the Manager will work with all staff to ensure that the Alliance’s communications and engagement efforts and all related content are high quality, effective, and consistent with our overall brand and reputational objectives. The Member and community engagement plan and its execution will be guided by the organization’s strategic vision and objectives and will position the Alliance as a dynamic, innovative research support organization. The incumbent will also support the development and implementation of the Alliance’s Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Accessibility (EDIA) Action Plan, working with other leaders within the organization.
The ideal candidate will be a passionate, motivated professional looking to innovate new and effective means of communicating with and convening stakeholders and who can link strategies and tactics to organizational objectives. The Manager will thrive in a collaborative and cooperative environment with colleagues while driving projects independently. Exceptional attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple projects concurrently will be essential.
- In consultation with the Director, Communications and Engagement, support the creation and conveyance of the organization’s internal and external communications through both strategy and accompanying tactical plans and deliverables.
- Maximize Member and stakeholder engagement and connectivity through the development of a comprehensive Member and community engagement plan supported by thoughtful and purposeful communication, programs, and digital media presence.
- Manage the development and delivery of the Alliance’s annual Member recruitment and retention program.
- Develop, and/or manage the development of, materials for a range of Member and community engagements including presentations, orders of proceedings, speech material, consultation material, community emails, FAQs, etc.
- Support the development and implementation of the Alliance’s Equity, Diversity and Inclusion and Accessibility (EDIA) plan, working with and supporting other leaders within the organization.
- Build a strong and reputable outlook on the organization and sustain our organizational brand and reputation to ensure Member satisfaction and a positive stakeholder image and perception.
- Plan and deliver events for Members and others in the community.
- Support the creation and maintenance of positive relationships with the research community, government, key associations, community partners, and other stakeholders.
- Lead the implementation of a new, enterprise-wide Constituent Relationship Management (CRM) process, with a focus on generating and maintaining accurate data on current and prospective Members and stakeholders.
- Foster strong organizational bonds and relationships between internal and external stakeholders and Members to support the Alliance’s mandate.
- Track and report against activity within the portfolio.
- Perform cross-functional and/or other duties across the Communications and Engagement team, as assigned or requested.
- Knowledge normally associated with an undergraduate and/or Masters-level degree in communications, journalism, political science or English.
- Significant experience working in communications leadership roles attained by at least seven years of work experience, including experience managing people.
- Experience developing and delivering impactful content through a number of tools, including presentations, speeches, email, briefing notes, digital media, etc.
- Experience developing, delivering and reporting on effective means of consultation, e.g., through surveys, stakeholder interviews, town halls, written submissions, etc.
- Experience in sustainability, corporate social responsibility and/or Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Accessibility (EDIA).
- Broad knowledge of best practices in public and stakeholder relations and strategic communications, including media, community and government relations and advocacy.
- Ability to think critically and provide strategic communications counsel that considers various perspectives.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, in both of Canada’s two official languages.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build effective working relationships across a broad spectrum of stakeholders.
- Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to provide critical analysis and recommendations of proposed communications and policy opportunities from a variety of perspectives.
- A strong and inclusive team leader.
- Strategic, analytical thinker with strong interpersonal skills, able to work comfortably with senior executives and across organizational functions.
- Knowledge/experience with computer applications, including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Understanding of CRMs or member management systems (e.g. Jambo, Wicket, iMis or Salesforce)
- Exceptional judgment and discretion with the ability to problem solve and generate action from ambiguity.
- Superior leadership and time management skills, with outstanding planning and organizing skills.
- Ability to collaborate and lead complex projects and high-functioning teams.
- Creativity and experience with a wide range of innovative communications approaches.
- Ability to work with a culturally diverse population.
- Other relevant professional certifications are an asset.
- Experience in non-profit, digital research infrastructure, technology and/or post-secondary education is an asset.
BENEFITS / WORK PERKS
In addition to a competitive salary and a rewarding career where you can truly make a difference in the Canadian research community, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that meets the various needs of our diverse team and that spans across Canada, including:
- Comprehensive Benefits Plan, including:
- Long-Term Disability
- Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness Spending Account
- Mental Health Supports
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- Paid Vacation
- Remote Work – Flex Hours
The Alliance recognizes that challenges remain in achieving the full participation of equity-seeking groups (including women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minority/racialized groups, and members of LGBTQ2+) in research careers and is committed to identifying and eliminating barriers that may exist within its own hiring process, programs, and practices.