ABOUT THE ALLIANCE
The Digital Research Alliance of Canada (the Alliance) serves Canadian researchers, with the objective of advancing Canada’s position as a leader in the knowledge economy on the international stage. By integrating, championing, and funding the infrastructure and activities required for advanced research computing (ARC), research data management (RDM), and research software (RS), we provide the platform for the research community to access tools and services faster than ever before.
We have an ambitious mandate – to transform how research across all academic disciplines is organized, managed, stored, and used. We work with other ecosystem partners and stakeholders across the country to help provide Canadian researchers with the support they need for leading-edge research excellence, research, innovation, and advancement across all disciplines.
The Program Officer is responsible for the administration of Alliance funding agreements awarded as a result of funding calls and institutional agreements. The Officer works collaboratively with members of the Alliance team to ensure compliance with internal policies and procedures, as well as the organization’s Contribution Agreement with ISED.
This position supports functional areas in funding administration including, but not limited to regulatory compliance, funding call preparation and processing, administering adjudication process, award, and acceptance, monitoring of Ultimate Recipients contractual obligations through regular reporting, and post-award administration. The Officer provides compliance and finance support along with mentoring for staff related to the funding administrative process. The Officer is a member of the Corporate Services team and reports to the Director, Program Management and Administration.
- Provide overall technical and administrative leadership in the areas of funding calls and institutional agreements.
- Acts as key contact for applicants, awardees, academic institutions, scientific experts, and researchers related to Funding Agreements and Institutional Agreements.
- Manage and oversee the entire lifecycle of a funding call, from development to launch, from pre-award to post-award.
- Oversee the adjudication process, chairing merit-review evaluation committees, and writing the merit-review committee report for each adjudication stage.
- Manage multiple funding application deadlines, including the deadline to submit applications and post-award reporting.
- Assist funding applicants in the submission of their applications.
- Ensure that all financial and program management reporting are compliant with the Alliance’s Contribution Agreement and financial management regulations.
- Oversee if the funding is implemented in accordance with the operational and financial needs of the organization.
- Develop annual fiscal year budgets with the Director, Program Management and Administration, as well as develop and implement funding budgeting and forecasting systems.
- Provide detailed reports to the Director, Program Management and Administration to inform the funders and Board of Directors of the organization’s progress.
- Work with Finance to ensure funding compliance, budget, and award payments are accurate and timely.
- Analyze the budget trends and make recommendations for cost control and reduction for various funding calls to optimize the funding administration process.
- Identify, design, and deliver outreach sessions that help improve funding application preparation and writing.
- Facilitate collaborative agreements between institutions to establish close working relationships and to advise them of long-term project goals.
- Prepare and analyze reports on funding.
- Maintain metrics for annual reports for various internal and external stakeholders.
- Perform cross-functional and/or other duties, as assigned or requested, consistent with the job classification.
- Knowledge normally associated with an undergraduate degree, preferably in Finance, Business Administration, or another relevant field.
- Minimum five to seven years of progressive experience or knowledge in effective funding of research and//or submitting funding applications.
- Advanced computer skills with proficiency in MS Excel, Word, and Outlook, comfortable working with technology systems and paperless workflows.
- Ability to apply effective project management techniques and utilize post-award compliance best practices.
- Knowledge of funding sources, educational institutions, and policies and procedures.
- Strong skills in designing, writing, and editing complex funding documents including reporting requirements.
- Ability to read, comprehend, interpret, and apply government regulations and proposal guidelines.
- Projects a professional demeanor in explaining policies and procedures/rules and regulations in a clear and non-threatening manner.
- Resourceful self-starter with a proven ability to perform under tight deadlines, facilitate, and coordinate working groups while working independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to work with a culturally diverse population.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, in both of Canada’s two official languages is an asset.
BENEFITS / WORK PERKS
In addition to a competitive salary and a rewarding career where you can truly make a difference in the Canadian research community, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that meets the various needs of our diverse team and that spans across Canada, including:
- Comprehensive Benefits Plan, including:
- Long-Term Disability
- Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness Spending Account
- Mental Health Supports
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- Paid Vacation
- Remote Work – Flex Hours
The Alliance recognizes that challenges remain in achieving the full participation of equity-seeking groups (including women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minority/racialized groups, and members of LGBTQ2+) in research careers and is committed to identifying and eliminating barriers that may exist within its own hiring process, programs, and practices.