The Digital Research Alliance of Canada (the Alliance) is pleased to announce a call to recruit new Directors to its Board of Directors.
The application process is now open. There are vacancies to fill on the Board for election at the Annual General Meeting in September 2023. Terms will be staggered and can range between one (1) and three (3) years.
The number of vacancies is determined annually, and the necessary criteria to fill vacancies have been identified through the analysis of skillset and criteria established by the Board.
The Alliance continually strives to represent a diversity of voices, experiences, and perspectives within the organization. We encourage individuals from underrepresented communities to apply for these Board Director roles, in keeping with our commitment to principles of Equity, Diversity, Inclusion and Accessibility. Candidates can submit their applications through the webform by June 30, 2023, at 11:59 p.m. (EDT).
Listed below are additional details related to the application and nomination process.
Process and Timelines
1. Call for Nominations – June 12, 2023
- The Call for Nominations will be posted on the Alliance’s website, social media platforms, job sites and the Institute of Corporate Directors (ICD) website.
2. Nomination Submission Period: June 12 – June 30, 2023
- Nominations can be received until 11:59 p.m. (EDT) on June 30, 2023, through applications submitted through the webform.
3. Due diligence check/Interview
- Selected candidates will undergo a due diligence check and be interviewed.
4. Notification sent to successful candidates/Invite to Annual General Meeting (AGM)
- Successful candidates will be notified and invited to the AGM to stand for election.
5. AGM – September 26, 2023
Candidates will be presented to the Primary Membership of the Alliance for election at the AGM.
Qualifications and Expected Commitment
The Nominating Committee is particularly interested in candidates with the following knowledge and expertise:
- Advanced research computing (ARC).
- Research data management (RDM).
- Research software (RS).
- Government relations and public policy.
- Audit/finance (Chartered Professional Accountant qualification is an advantage).
- Artificial intelligence, cybersecurity and privacy enterprise
- Enterprise risk management
Candidates should also ensure that they meet the following requirements:
- Commitment to the Alliance’s vision and values and an appreciation for ARC, RDM and RS components of the digital research infrastructure strategy.
- Personal commitment to devote the time necessary to perform the responsibilities of a Board Director.
- Previous non-profit board experience is an asset.
- Strong communication and collaborative skills.
- New Director terms begin in September 2023.
- Directors must have the ability to serve for a term between one (1) year and three (3) years.
- Directors may be eligible for re-election at the Annual General Meeting at the end of the term.
- Attend four (4) Board meetings that take place each year – two (2) of which will be held in person within Canada and one (1) in conjunction with the Annual General Meeting.
- Able to commit the time and resources to serve on the Board and at least one (1) Board committee and represent the Alliance as requested.
- This is a volunteer position – Directors will be reimbursed for reasonable expenses incurred in performing their duties, including travel expenses.
How to Apply
Candidates can submit their application by completing the webform, including the attachment of your cover letter and resumé, by June 30, 2023 at 11:59 p.m. EDT. Here are the application questions to help you prepare your responses.
The Alliance is strongly committed to equity and inclusion within the community and encourages applications from all qualified candidates, including women, members of racialized groups, people of colour, persons with disabilities, and Indigenous and 2SLGBTQIA+ identified people.
We thank all applicants in advance, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
For more information about the role and nomination process, please contact the Board Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org.