The Federation is composed of 38 partner universities, five regional organizations (Compute Ontario, Calcul Québec, ACENET, the BC DRI Group and Prairies DRI) and a national office. Together, members of the Federation play a crucial role in supporting research in Canada, offering essential ARC infrastructure, software, and services to research projects across a broad spectrum of scope and need that range from small, individual initiatives or collaborations to Canada’s largest “big science” projects.
Delivering these essential resources to Canadian researchers, regardless of their geographic location or academic discipline, requires a dedicated community of highly qualified personnel who are committed to ensuring that all researchers have access to the high-quality resources they need to undertake cutting-edge research. Our world-class team of more than 200 experts, employed by our partner universities and research institutions across the country, provide direct support to research teams.
The Federation is a highly distributed federation that draws on the expertise and resources of many partners across Canada.
Key Federation Operational Activities
A number of key activities are required to achieve the Federation’s mission:
- strong and effective governance and management of operations;
- deployment of state-of-the art infrastructure and maintenance of essential software;
- delivery of world-class services;
- development and implementation of a human resource framework that supports talent retention and management;
- ongoing implementation and monitoring of a cybersecurity program; and
- effective administrative oversight that includes clear and shared financial processes, risk management frameworks, communication networks and performance measurement.