Data management planning is recognized as one of the key pillars of research data management, and data management plans (DMPs) are increasingly required by funders, including the Canadian Tri-Agencies as outlined in their Research Data Management Policy. The Data Management Planning Expert Group (DMPEG) works to promote and nurture a strong data culture in Canada, and to support researchers and institutions in their data management planning needs.
The DMPEG develops and makes available guidelines, best practices and training resources in support of data management planning writ large, as well as guidance materials for the Alliance national DMP service, DMP Assistant, including the standards underlying the structure and management of, and content for, DMP templates and exemplars. The DMPEG’s work ultimately
- facilitates the sharing of research administrative information across research organizations and agencies;
- improves coordination among local and national research service organizations; and
- reduces administrative burden on researchers.
Current areas of interest include
- Developing Exemplar DMPs and other guidance and training resources to assist researchers in developing high quality DMPs;
- Maintaining and developing further guidance for discipline- and methodology-specific DMP templates implemented through DMP Assistant;
- Developing and implementing a DMP repository where researchers can deposit, curate, discover and access Canadian DMPs; and
- Supporting the ongoing development and sustainability of the DMP Assistant platform and service, including identifying and recommending new features to support both administrators and end users.
For more information, or to inquire about becoming a member, please see the Terms of Reference and/or complete the Expression of Interest Form.
- James Doiron, University of Alberta (co-Chair)
- Heather Ganshorn, University of Calgary (interim co-Chair)
- Dylanne Dearborn, University of Toronto
- Jonathan Dorey, Institut national de la recherche scientifique (INRS)
- Krysha Dukacz, McMaster University
- Émilie Fortin, Université Laval
- Janie Gauthier-Boudreau, Université du Québec à Chicoutimi
- Carla Graebner, Simon Fraser University
- Maggie Neilson, Acadia University (on leave)
- Isaac Pratt, McMaster University
- Chantel Ridsdale, Oceans Network Canada
- Chantal Ripp, University of Ottawa
- Weiwei Shi, University of Alberta (observer)
- Robyn Stobbs, Athabasca University
- Li Zhang, University of Saskatchewan
Active Working Groups (WGs)
- DMP Assistant Institutional Customization Guide WG (Terms of Reference): This group will develop a guide to assist institutions and administrators with customizing the content and appearance of DMP Assistant to meet their institutional needs.
- DMP Assistant Exemplar DMPs Review and Development WG (Terms of Reference): This group works with members of the Canadian RDM community to develop exemplar data management plans from a variety of disciplines, in English and French, and to ensure the exemplars represent best practices in data management planning.
- DMP 101+ Tutorial Video WG (Terms of Reference): This group will develop the content for brief tutorial videos that build and expand upon the recently released DMP Assistant Tutorial Videos series, provide researchers and other end users foundational knowledge regarding DMPs, an overview of their content (e.g., general categories and questions), and highlight available resources and supports including the DMP Assistant tool, exemplar DMPs, and other available training materials.
Publications & Resources
Publications and resources developed by DMPEG and its various working groups, such DMP guides, templates, exemplars and tutorial videos, are available from the Training Resources page [link].